Sew How’s That Retirement Going?

December 31, 2018 at 4:26 pm 178 comments

Pretty good!

As you may remember, I retired at the end of 2017. I shut down my business, ended my online store, quit sending out the newsletter, and stopped teaching. All in all, it was a great decision. I’m loving retirement!

I have more time with that adorable grandchild (who just turned four), and I have more time to quilt! Far less stress in my life, too. I used to panic if I had more than 30 emails in my inbox. I read and responded to them all, of course, but those with a to-do component stayed there until I could check them off the list and clear them out. A quick check reveals I have 269 emails. Just sitting there. And I’m OK with that. I know. I can hardly believe it myself!

In the last year I started attending my guild meetings again. OK, most of them—the ones with speakers. I also joined a guild about an hour south of me and I am enjoying that group of quilters very much as well.

I made a bunch of quilt tops this past year, finished five charity quilts (little ones), gave away two quilts to new grandnieces…

… and quilted 30 tissue box covers for holiday gifts.

I also made a quilt to cover the fire place. (Long story shortened:  we didn’t use the fireplace because it was too drafty. So, several years ago, I covered the opening with Styrofoam insulation boards and duct tape. I stretched a piece of fabric over the last insulation board and called it good. It was something less than charming. Far less. I got really tired of that fabric. Here’s what it looks like now.)

There were also three trips to Paducah for National Quilt Museum board meetings, a trip to see family in Florida (with a quick visit to see the Mouse)…..

…a quilting retreat, and two trips overseas. It was a great year!

Oh! I also learned how to make felt Christmas tree ornaments! (That’s the Winky Wonky Donkey, from the book of the same name.)

I made about 30 ornaments all together, and all by hand. Quite the learning curve, but lots of fun.

I thought for sure I would have made a dent in my UFO’s in the last 12 months. Sadly, I just created more of them! Apparently, starting new projects makes me really happy!

My friend Marsha McCloskey just informed me that whatever one does on the first day of the new year predisposes one to continue that activity in all the days that follow. What a lovely thought. I’m going to sew all day long tomorrow.

I hope 2019 brings you love, peace, joy, good health, and prosperity for you, your family, and for all those you care about.

Happy New Year!
Ami Simms

Entry filed under: Quilting.

Opulent Ornaments: A Delightful Rabbit Hole

178 Comments Add your own

• 1. leslieoldham  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Ami, you don’t know me; I am in the Utah County Quilt Guild—I just want to say thanks for your cheerful messages (ok some pretty darn funny) these last years. It brought an extra smile or laugh to my day—so you have blessed another’s life. Thank you so much.

Leslie Oldham….occasional quilter—often fabric purchaser—and fellow human “bean” appreciator. Have a good year!

• 2. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:42 pm

You are so sweet, Leslie! Thank you for your kind words!

• 3. Ann S Wray  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:34 pm

we miss you but are so glad that you are enjoying your retirement. Say hi to Scooter for us.

• 4. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Thanks! Scooter says hi back.

• 5. Sandra  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Woo Hoo!! Glad you’re so happy and enjoying family and life! Please keep in touch with us-

• 6. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Thanks so much. I’ll try and blog more often!

• 7. Fern Kilts  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:41 pm

You are such a delight. I must stay in touch!

• 8. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Thanks for you kind words, Fern!

• 9. Kate  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:42 pm

I always love hearing about your quilting and granddaughter and more. I feel like we will be almost neighbors before too long – moving from Colorado to Michigan!!

• 10. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Thanks so much! And welcome to Michigan!

• 11. Marcia  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:44 pm

What a lovely surprise to see this in my inbox. I recently spent an entire morning going through and deleting emails that apparently don’t actually get deleted when I delete them in Outlook. There were around 3,000 or so. I’m probably up to over a hundred again. I love all your projects, especially the felt ornaments and the fireplace cover. Happy and Blessed New year to you and your family, Ami!

Marcia Middents

• 12. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Thanks so much, Marcia! Congratulations on getting all those old emails out of your inbox.

• 13. Diane Lovejoy  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:45 pm

So happy to hear you are doing well. Thanks for the update.happy quilting, happy retirement!

• 14. Bernadiene Galvin  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Attractive twister fireplace cover. Great your enjoying retirement.

• 15. Debi Charbonneau  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Oh Ami, it was so wonderful to hear from you and read all about “retirement.”. I hope the new year continues to gift you with all that you love. Take good care!

• 16. Sue  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:47 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO AMI

Good to hear from you 😀

Sue Smucker

Sent from my iPhone

• 17. Tom & Kim Haugen  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Thank you. A fun read and a pleasure to know you are a happy person and pleased with your decision. I wish you all the best. Kim Haugen Prescott, Arizona (where it has been snowing ALL DAY and reminds me of the Midwest!!!)

• 18. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Thanks! And enjoy the snow!!!

• 19. Kathie  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:51 pm

Loved hearing from you…Happy New Year……

• 20. Patty Adams  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:51 pm

So glad you are relaxing in your retirement! I am thoroughly worn out from all you’ve done just from the reading of your email! Keep on enjoying! The best to you in 2019!

• 21. Mary Lou Kirtland  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Hi Ami,

I’ve missed you!! Glad you are enjoying your retirement. Two years ago we left sometimes snowy and always taxing New Jersey for life at the beach . . . in a suburb of Myrtle Beach SC.

I am still looking for my quilting “tribe” but I solved the problem of UFOs by donating a large space bag of quilt tops to the Coastal Carolina Quilt Guild (went to meetings for a year – too big for my taste. But they were happy to get the tops finished for charity.)

Good luck as you travel and develop new creative passions!!

Mary Lou Kirtland Garden City Beach, SC

• 22. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:34 pm

I’ve been cleaning the last few days and have a laundry basket of donations for the museum. That took care of some of my UFO’s.

• 23. zizzybob  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:54 pm

So very good to hear from you again.

• 24. Beth  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Happy New Year to you, dear friend!

• 25. Karen Edwards  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:54 pm

It’s wonderful to hear from you again, Ami. I’m so happy for you that retirement is going very well!

• 26. Maria  |  December 31, 2018 at 4:58 pm

Great post! Always loved hearing what you were up to! I retired in November & am awaiting my first grandchild! A girl. Been busy moving from Florida to Tennessee so no quilting yet. Soon though, very soon. Glad you are happy!!

• 27. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Thanks, Maria!

• 28. Nora J  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Ami, so glad to hear that you are enjoying retirement. The fireplace quilt is just right for that spot. May 2019 be filled with even more adventures and lots of sewing/quilting. Please keep us up-to-date on your projects and Zoey fun.

• 29. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Thanks so much, Nora!

• 30. Judy Veltidi  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:01 pm

What a lovely newsy post. So glad you are loving retirement and doing so many things. Happy for you.

And thank you for reinforcing the idea that I want to spend January 1 just sewing!!! Now I really have a reason why I NEED to do that.

Warm wishes for a healthy 2019!
    Judy Veltidi

Sent from my iPhone

• 31. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Thanks, Judy! And I’m delighted to have given you a good reason for quilting tomorrow. :)

• 32. Ellen Horn Cabluck  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:02 pm

It is so nice to see you online and see your projects. Happy New Year!

• 33. Rosleen Long  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:04 pm

I was worried about you!  You have no idea who I am because I am not a quilter.  (I am a beader.)  But my friend Donna Grybowski, a woman of many talents, would forward emails to me regarding Madison (rest in peace, you wonderful dog) and Scooter.  I emailed Donna a while ago when I realized I hadn’t gotten any emails from your site.  Neither had Donna.   So you have retired.  Fully retired.  Good for you!  I had retired from the corporate world back in 2009 but in 2011 I got a part-time job at our local grocery store; I quit that job back in February, so I am fully retired now.  I have no idea how I accomplished anything while I was working! And yes, I am a dog person.  I was an only child, and have had a dog since I was 6 years old.  For the past 20+ years we have had black Labs (my vet called them BLabs).  I am 71 yrs old, so this past March when we had to put our sweet, sweet Diesel to sleep, I was devastated.  You know the feeling.  We were lucky to find another rescue; he’s a Lab mix (black, sleek, 55 lbs) who is supposedly 5 yrs old, but he has the energy of a 2yr old!  Jax does his best to keep me busy. We have also had cats (my husband is the cat person). I just wanted to thank you for sharing Madison’s and Scooter’s lives with us.  I always looked forward to those emails!  I wish you, your family — and Scooter of course — the best in the future.  Bless you all. Rosleen Long(& Roger, Jax, Donovan and Haley)

• 34. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Roselyn, congratulations to you on your retirement too. So many people have asked about Scooter, I should have him write the next blog. (More time for me to quilt.) Thanks for your kind words and remembering me with such kindness.

• 35. Jeanne Martin  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:05 pm

I am so glad you are enjoying retirement. I do miss your lectures but wouldn’t want you to give up the pleasure of retirement.

• 36. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Thanks for your kindness.

• 37. Lorraine Kovar  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:07 pm

So good to hear that you are enjoying retirement. I miss your blogs and the dogs blogs too!! I retired in 2017 as well – not by choice but everything worked out perfect as if I had planned it so all is good. I quilt for two guilds. One a long arm guild and another that pieces. All of the quilts go to a variety of charities. It is so satisfying. Happy trails!

• 38. Dee Winter  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:07 pm

I was wondering how you and Scooter were getting along. So good to hear from you! Happy New Year! And yes, I plan on sewing tomorrow also.

• 39. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:23 pm

I should have mentioned Scooter is doing just fine.

• 40. Hilary Bobker  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Lovely to hear you are doing well!!! Retirement is the BEST!!! I’m quilting tomorrow as well. Scooter ok?

• 41. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:22 pm

I’m looking forward to tomorrow too. Scooter sends his regards.

• 42. Julia Lewis  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Thank you for the update! I have missed hearing from your pup (and you). I also miss your store, but I bet you don’t miss keeping up with it!

• 43. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Thanks! And yes, I am liking the better stress level.

• 44. Eve  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:23 pm

I’m very happy for you in your retirement, even tho I’ve missed your regular emails. I love being retired! How did I ever have time to work?? I now have a new designation for some of my ufos: they have been put into timeout. I’ll pull them out when I think I can make them behave better. Hugs to you 🤗

• 45. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Love the “time out” concept! I’m taking it!! I’ll try to blog more often.

• 46. Marie Bryan  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:24 pm

It’s so good to hear from you, Ami! All you’ve accomplished in the past year leaves me breathless and exhausted! I see you got to Roma. Wonderful city!

I hope you have an equally successful 2019, filled with hope, health and happiness (and quilting)!

• 47. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Thank you!

• 48. mebryan1952  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:27 pm

It’s so good to hear from you, Ami! Your 2018 accomplishments leave me breathless and exhausted! I see you visited Roma. Wonderful city!

I hope 2019 affords you the opportunity to be as creative as you were in 2018. Wishing you a new year filled with hope, health, and happiness (and quilting)!

• 49. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Thank you so much!

• 50. Nit Marsyla  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Welcome back. I always enjoyed your quirky posts. What no dyed underpants or bowlies???

• 51. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Glad you like them. I think this is the first year I didn’t dye panties or rope. Maybe in the spring…

• 52. mebryan1952  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Are there any books you recommend for learning to make those great felt ornaments?

• 53. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:16 pm

I learned how to do the stitch through YouTube videos. There are several patterns out there, just try something easy at first. Give yourself the luxury of a few false starts, and you’ll get the hand of it.

• 54. Ellie Kosnac  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:39 pm

I love it!! Had hoped that when I moved to SW FL that I’d at least be able to semi-retire! 8 years later still working full time long arm quilting everyone else’s tops while mine sit in the closet & bins!!! Enjoy!!

• 55. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:13 pm

Wish you luck in slowing down a little if that’s the life you desire.

• 56. Lisa Throneberry  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:47 pm

So good to hear you are ‘living the life’ that you deserve. I have thought of you often this past year and sent positive thoughts your way. Sounds like you didnt have much of learning curve for retirement! I’m so glad!! You go, girl!!!! Lisa Throneberry

• 57. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Hey, thanks Lisa! I appreciate the positive thoughts.

• 58. O'Neill, Jacqueline  |  December 31, 2018 at 5:52 pm

So good to hear from you, sounds like a wonderful year. Stay well. Hope the pup is well also. Miss your newsletters but we understand.

• 59. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Thanks!

• 60. Ann Bryner Hedington  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:09 pm

So good to hear from you again; I’m glad that things are going well and that you are enjoying your retirement. In 2019 may you continue to enjoy a happy, healthy retirement.

• 61. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Thank you!! :)

• 62. debbie  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:09 pm

you probably won’t read this but just found the WONKY DONKEY book this year I love it!! It makes me laugh no matter how many times I read it. HAPPY 2019!

• 63. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:10 pm

I read all the comments…..eventually! My very good friend found a copy of the book for me for my grand baby. Can’t wait to give it to her!

• 64. Barbara G Welch  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:20 pm

Good for you, Ami ! I’m glad you had a wonderful year. I and my family had a great 2018 also. Soooooo, onward and upward into 2019 :)

• 65. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Yes! Let’s go for it!

• 66. barbara Kolman  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Good for you. How wonderful you are enjoying yourself .
    All those years you helped us and I took a class at least 40 years ago that you taught a pine tree wall hanging. I mentioned to you that I was left handed and would have a problem doing it, you just laughed and replied you were left handed too! What fun your classes were and what joy you gave to us. Thank you, thank you, thank you

• 67. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:07 pm

So nice to to read your very kind words. I remember that class——at the Sloan Museum? I was actually a substitute teacher.

• 68. Judy Leathers  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:30 pm

So happy that you are happy . Love the gingerbread man.

• 69. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Thanks!

• 70. Juanita Earnheart  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:37 pm

So good to hear how retirement is treating you.

• 71. Elaine Brazin  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:38 pm

So happy for you. Keep on having fun!

• 72. Laura Robins-Morris  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:39 pm

I’m very very happy for your lovely well-earned retirement. You are definitely making the most of it!

• 73. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Thanks…..I’m trying.

• 74. vjbright@bresnan.net  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Happy New Year Ami!

• 75. ronda  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Happy New Year Ami, blessings for 2019

• 76. Linda  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Good to hear from you, Ami. I am glad you are enjoying retirement and moving forward with things you enjoy. We wouldn’t be quilters/crafters if we didn’t have a bucket load of UFOs to haunt us.
    Your list of completions is impressive.

Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

Linda

• 77. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I just see opportunities for new designs everywhere I look. And I’m learning to live with the guilt.

• 78. Janice Dyer  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:51 pm

I love the Gingerbread Man. So happy you had a great 2018, now keep quilting and have a wonderful 2019.

• 79. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Thanks! It was fun to make!

• 80. Patricia McCann  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:51 pm

And how is the dog?

• 81. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Scooter’s doing great! A little grayer in the face and a little slower, but he’s doing just fine.

• 82. BA Shaver  |  December 31, 2018 at 6:53 pm

If you have an extra quilt MD Anderson in Houston is now accepting quilts for their ovarian cancer auction.

• 83. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Please share the details here or put in a link. Maybe others will want to participate too.

• 84. Nia Lorre  |  December 31, 2018 at 7:07 pm

What a great post. So glad to hear from you. Sounds like you are rockin’ your retirement – good for you! And best wishes for the coming year right back at you and yours.
    (The gingerbread man made me laugh out loud.)

• 85. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Thanks, Nia!

• 86. Mary Kastner  |  December 31, 2018 at 7:11 pm

SO nice to hear from you and know you are doing splendidly in retirement. I totally agree with you. have a very Happy New Year 2019!

• 87. carol  |  December 31, 2018 at 7:15 pm

That’s the thing about retirement … it seems you’re busier than before you retired. Those ornaments are adorable!!

• 88. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:57 pm

I had a great time making the ornaments. And you’re right….life is quite busy!

• 89. Betty Giles  |  December 31, 2018 at 7:22 pm

Missing your humor, Ami. So happy for you that you are enjoying retirement.

• 90. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

• 91. Barbara Murdock  |  December 31, 2018 at 7:22 pm

so good to hear from you. Sounds like a fun year to me. What you need is another grandchild for even more fun! But take it you are still on the board at Paducah.

• 92. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Yes, still happily on the board. Wonderful group of people and such a good organization.

• 93. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 11:20 pm

Yes, I am still on the board. Such a great organization!

• 94. Roxanne  |  December 31, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Good for you. I’ve missed your newsletter but am glad for you- recharging, traveling, new experiences. Looking forward to that year after retirement myself, soon enough. And of course, expecting to put a dent in that stash beyond life expectancy.

• 95. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Hope we both make good on the stash denting and project finishing!

• 96. cindy cooksey  |  December 31, 2018 at 7:55 pm

So nice to hear from you, Ami! Glad to know that you are still stitching along. Me too. Still making a few quilts, but also obsessed with clothing, oh and hand embroidery, too. As long as we enjoy it, why not? (I entered my blog address below but have not been good about updating it for a while.)

• 97. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:54 pm

All sounds good. I’m hoping to make more of an effort to blog more in 2019.

• 98. Arlene Adams  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:13 pm

So happy you posted your post-retirement news!! Have really missed your blogs with all of Scooter’s news. May the new year be filled with fabric, and quilting. Arlene Adams

• 99. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:53 pm

You’re so sweet! Scooter is doing fine and sends his gentle woofs.

• 100. Carol Fieldhouse  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Fantastic to see you in Rome again! Your book of quilt patterns from Ostia was a source of inspiration to me! Hope you found lots more lovely mosaic floors…..

• 101. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:51 pm

I found several cool floors this past year. Just can’t remember what I did with the photos. Oh!

• 102. Brenda Shriner  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Happy New Year!

• 103. Ellie  |  December 31, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Thanks for the update, glad you are enjoying retirement.

• 104. Shaleen Edmundson  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Continue to embrace your retirement and make new memories.
    Shaleen

• 105. barbara gesell  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Miss you, but glad you’re enjoying your retirement as I am.

• 106. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Thanks!

• 107. Boni Revers  |  December 31, 2018 at 9:56 pm

What a great retirement. Keep me on your message list. You are my inspiration.

• 108. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 11:18 pm

You’re so sweet! :)

• 109. Diane in Ohio  |  December 31, 2018 at 10:25 pm

Wow! Here you are😃. Great. I’we wondered how you’ve been. Good to hear you are doing so well in retirement, travel, and the family which of course includes Scooter🐶🐶. Thanks for letting us know of your “doings”!! Keep them coming, please.

• 110. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Thanks, Diane!

• 111. Edye  |  December 31, 2018 at 11:20 pm

Thanks, Ami, for letting your loyal fans know how and what you’ve been doing. We miss you, but it sure sounds as if you have this retirement thing figured out, and you’re enjoying it as you should! Love all your new projects!

• 112. Ami Simms  |  December 31, 2018 at 11:29 pm

Thanks so much, Edie!

• 113. Sharon Lowy  |  December 31, 2018 at 11:54 pm

Isn’t retirement grand? I had such a hard time letting go and now I have no idea how I had time for a career! It is so nice to hear about all of your adventures in 2018. I know Scooter is thrilled to have you home! I really love the little gingerbread man😁. Happy New year to you and your family.

• 114. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 9:49 am

Yes, letting go was the hard part. But once you do…wow!

• 115. Conda Walsh  |  January 1, 2019 at 12:42 am

I have so missed your blog. So exciting to see you are enjoying your retirement.

• 116. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 9:51 am

Thank you! I’ll try and blog more.

• 117. Maureen Gillet  |  January 1, 2019 at 1:46 am

So happy to see that you are doing so well.
    And having quite the adventure during your retirement.
    Enjoy every day! I will have to remember to sew all day tomorrow too!
    Maureen Gillet

• 118. Barbara  |  January 1, 2019 at 5:42 am

Glad to hear from you Ami. Sounds like you are doing great for your first year. Keep up the great work!

• 119. Charlotte Larson Trayer  |  January 1, 2019 at 6:11 am

So good to hear from you once again, Ami! I thought about you last summer, when I was visiting my best friend, June, in Flint, and was tempted to call you and say hi, but for me it was recovery time–another very close friend had died earlier that year, and I just Needed to be with June for a while. There were days when June and I just sat and knitted or read or sewed….and a few times when I/we cried. I felt much better afterwards.

I’m so pleased that I had a chance to meet you and have lunch with you during your layover from Alaska that time! What a treat that was for Liz and me (and Becky, too, I’m sure).

Tell Scooter we all miss his part of your blog, also! I always enjoyed what he had to say! ;-)

I’d love to see a picture of your granddaughter sometime, if you can share! Isn’t being a grandma absolutely the Best?!

Have a happy and blessed 2019!!

Charlotte

• 120. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 9:56 am

Recovery is so hard. I hope your burden is a little easier to carry now.

I remember my layover meet-ups with much fondness. Such good times!

• 121. Stephanie  |  January 1, 2019 at 6:57 am

What a treat to find you in my inbox. For me retirement is a gift everyday. Happy that you are enjoying yours sew much!

• 122. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 9:57 am

I’ll try to be in your inbox more often.

• 123. Linda Marquis-Cate  |  January 1, 2019 at 7:05 am

So fun to see (read) you again!! Retirement is great – if one can keep the sewing room somewhat cleared to do all the fun stuff!!! Travel, grands can interrupt but I, too, plan a little sewing today. Happy New Year!!!

• 124. Denise in PA  |  January 1, 2019 at 9:43 am

So lovely to hear from you! It’s great to hear you are enjoying your retirement. I remember fondly my class with you at the PA Qult Extravaganza I don’t know how many years ago now! Best to you in 2019 and Happy Stitches!

• 125. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 9:48 am

Kind words indeed. Thank you for remembering!

• 126. Mary Ellen Tardiff  |  January 1, 2019 at 10:00 am

Oh, my! You have been one very busy woman! Good for you. I’ll bet your guilds are happy to have you in them! The fireplace cover is a wonderful idea! I might have to steal that one – or borrow it! I do love your Wonky Donkey ornament and the partially eaten gingerbread man. I want to make them even though a new ornament is the last thing I need. We’ve gone down to a 3 foot tree from a 6 1/2 foot and there are plenty of ornaments that were donated and still too many left here.

Sew the day away – and have a really happy, productive 2019, Give Zoe lots of hugs and kisses as only a grandma knows that special joy!

• 127. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Thanks for your sweet words!

• 128. Nancy Henderson  |  January 1, 2019 at 10:06 am

What a delight to find your email this morning. You have been a busy girl since retiring. Isn’t retirement wonderful! Thank you so much for giving your followers an update on what you’ve been up to. I hope this becomes a yearly thing.

• 129. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Glad you enjoyed the blog. I’ll try to blog a little more often.

• 130. Becky Goldsmith  |  January 1, 2019 at 10:30 am

Hi Ami! I was thinking about you just the other day and I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying life as a retired person. It’s good to know that you are getting to spend time doing what you want to do and, I have to say, you make retirement look inviting.

I hope we run into each other again one of these days! xoxo,

Becky

• 131. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Such sweet words! I do like being retired——give me a call and we can catch up. 😄

• 132. gingertx  |  January 1, 2019 at 11:05 am

I must have missed the email telling us you had retired. You stayed on my mind and I kept wondering when we would hear from you again. So, I am very glad that your disappearance was AOK and not something dire in your life. Yes, retirement is fun. Do drop us a line now and then, as you are like a dear friend we want to keep up with.

• 133. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Thanks for your sweet comment! I will try and blog a little more often.

• 134. THERESA  |  January 1, 2019 at 11:16 am

Best Wishes to you and your family. Happy and Healthy 2019. I would quilt all day, but leaving for Florida in about 3 days. Everything is packed.
    You were always an inspiration to me – I took your hand-quilting class in Easton Pa, and you came to our lake country quilt guild in the 90’s. I had a different name back then. But you are a fantastic teacher/person and I wish you loads of fun and relaxation and happy quilting in your retirement. Theresa Chalone

• 135. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:26 pm

Theresa, thanks so much for writing! You made my day. I remember classes at Easton, PA with great fondness. Thanks for the good wishes.

• 136. Susan Williams  |  January 1, 2019 at 11:40 am

Retirement is wonderful. I am so glad you are enjoying your own creative time, and famiy. The last year has been growing veggies and knitting, oh, and adding to the fabric stash. 2019 will be attacking that stash. Best wishes for healthand happiness!

• 137. Robyn  |  January 1, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Sew happy retirement agrees with you! Looking forward to mine …9 years from now. Keep us up to date with your adventures!

• 138. Bev Smith  |  January 1, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Happy New Year to you. It was so nice to see your name appear in my inbox.Glad you’re enjoying your retirement. I enjoy mine everyday. I believe the only day I don’t do some form of quilting is the day that doesn’t end in a “Y”.
    Best Wishes from Ontario, Canada.
    Bev

• 139. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for writing!

• 140. Karen  |  January 1, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Ami, Thank you for starting your blog again. I have missed you! Every word you share is a boon to my heart. Welcome back to us.

• 141. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:27 pm

With kind words like that I’m going to want to blog more often! Thank you!

• 142. Mollie Heron  |  January 1, 2019 at 2:36 pm

It’s great to hear from you again.

• 143. Patty Bertrand  |  January 1, 2019 at 3:13 pm

I still love you just as I did before.
    If what Marcia McCluskey said is true I am pumped because I have been cleaning organizing prewashing flannel fabric for the back of baby quilts and just buzzing around in an hour of exercise this morning very very productive so I am looking forward to a very productive 2019 as a matter fact that’s my word for 2019 productivity you have a great great day and I am so happy you are enjoying retirement

• 144. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:29 pm

Hugs, Patty! Thanks for taking the time to write—-good job on the day’s activity ! 2019 is going to be a great day!

• 145. JoAnn Paddock  |  January 1, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Thanks for the newsletter. I have missed your cute letters. How your dog?

• 146. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Scooter is doing well!

• 147. Deb Tilton  |  January 1, 2019 at 3:34 pm

So good to see you in my inbox. Sound like retirement is a refreshing way to go! I think I will have to wait a bit yet, but am certainly looking forward to it. Keep doing what you are doing and enjoy every day in every way! Have a great new year!! God’s blessings to you!!

• 148. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Thank you!!

• 149. Donna  |  January 1, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Great to hear from you and to hear your doing well in retirement.
    Sorry to hear that what you do on New Year’s Day continues thru out the year…..had kids and grandkids and I did not accomplished much at all. 🤔

• 150. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:31 pm

You can always decide not to believe that. Try again tomorrow.

• 151. Kim Noble  |  January 1, 2019 at 6:18 pm

Ami you’re so talented! Love everything you do! Perhaps a book of humorous stories might be a new project? Always love your way of looking at life with your quirky humor? Just do whatever you enjoy 😊
    Wishing you & Steve a wonderful New Year!
    Love you,
    Kim

• 152. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Thanks, Kim! ❤️❤️❤️

• 153. Stephanie  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Glad you are back blogging.

• 154. Ami Simms  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Thanks!

• 155. Kimberly Anne Brandt  |  January 1, 2019 at 8:33 pm

Today is the first day of my husbands retirement….I hope his goes as well as yours is going :0) congratulations for taking the leap! I enjoyed seeing what you’ve been up to and hope you have a very blessed 2019 Happy New Year!

• 156. Cristine Hall  |  January 2, 2019 at 5:01 am

So glad to hear you are enjoying the new chapter of your life! May the good times continue to roll for you and yours. May the new year continue to be fruitful and maybe some of those UFO’s become done. One can dream right? LOL Do keep in touch. Happy New Year! Cris

• 157. Grammy Judy  |  January 2, 2019 at 9:40 am

Welcome back, I hope Scooter will join you in your blogging. Missed both of you.

• 158. Ami Simms  |  January 2, 2019 at 9:14 pm

Will try to get him to write.

• 159. Karen Holt  |  January 2, 2019 at 9:47 am

Congratulations on your retirement! Looks like a great year! Keep it up 😊

• 160. Ami Simms  |  January 2, 2019 at 9:14 pm

Thanks!

• 161. Cheryl Parker  |  January 2, 2019 at 10:58 am

Did you make the pattern for The Wonky Donkey ornament? We just discovered this book at Thanksgiving, and I’d love to be able to make my granddaughter an ornament to go with her book.

• 162. Ami Simms  |  January 2, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Maybe I’ll share it in the next blog.

• 163. Carol McCutcheon  |  January 2, 2019 at 11:37 am

Your posts always bring a smile to my face😀

• 164. Ami Simms  |  January 2, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Thanks!

• 165. Suzanne Kuhns  |  January 2, 2019 at 11:40 am

congratulations on retirement! So glad you really did retire – and now have time to enjoy your grandbaby and create more UFOs!!! It’s nice to hear from you again, though – always enjoyed your news and Scooter’s news as well.

• 166. Ami Simms  |  January 2, 2019 at 9:18 pm

I appreciate your kind words!

• 167. Neame  |  January 3, 2019 at 4:47 pm

Hi Ami, I am a sometime reader and retired too. Ain’t it great? Glad to know you are also enjoying it. I hope you continue to keep us updated from time to time (don’t want to make it a “job” haha). I still refer to your blog for tips and ideas. Thanks for all you’ve contributed to our world. Peace in the New Year and for all years to come.

• 168. Ami Simms  |  January 3, 2019 at 8:43 pm

Thank you so much, Neame!

• 169. anneandbenhike  |  January 7, 2019 at 8:58 am

So delighted to see an update from you! Happy New Year and thank you for letting us hear from you.

• 170. Ami Simms  |  January 23, 2019 at 11:04 pm

Thanks!

• 171. marzoo7  |  January 9, 2019 at 8:56 am

Hi, Ami!
    What a treat to find your latest happenings in my inbox! It was a fun read and I marvel at your energy. Enjoy your retirement and Happy New Year to you!
    Marlene Carron

• 172. Ami Simms  |  January 23, 2019 at 11:05 pm

Thank you!

• 173. Sandy J Hanson  |  January 11, 2019 at 7:22 pm

I also retired this year and am LOVING it! I have told at least 3 other quilters about Marsha McCloskey’s quote about sewing on New Year’s Day. I have a gathering to attend on Monday (and the following Monday) to make some service quilts for children – everyone is bringing tops to finish up with flannel backing.

I love your newsletters – and am so glad you are continuing them. You may not realize what fun you bring to our lives – thanks so much for still including all of us in yours. Sandy

• 174. Ami Simms  |  January 23, 2019 at 11:06 pm

I appreciate your kind words!

• 175. Alice M Henigin  |  January 12, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Congrats and enjoy!! Please have someone take over making your Power Wrapper. I know lots of people that want one.

• 176. Ami Simms  |  January 23, 2019 at 11:06 pm

• 177. Pam Ahearn  |  February 22, 2019 at 7:43 pm

Discovered your em/blog while cleaning up/deleting the back log of ems. Good to year from you, Ami! Retirement is a very different new stage in our lives. At this point I’m tired from being so busy! We have 21 grandchildren, to date, and I’m three baby quilts behind for the last three grandchildren! Grandma Pam is warming up her sewing machine to begin those quilts! We spent two weeks in Rome 12/31/18-1/15/19 visiting our daughter, a nun, who lives there. Took lots of pictures of many church floors for future quilts. Glad you made it to Rome…I feel Rome calling me again! All the best in 2019 to you and your family.

• 178. Ami Simms  |  February 23, 2019 at 7:34 am

21 grandkids! Wow! No wonder you’re tired! So glad you got to Rome and saw the quilty church floors. Thanks so much for commenting.